Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Reflection

Today I think I have learned plenty on the way that differentials are designed.  I find that they are generally designed to be mechanic friendly.  I do realise that the bolts are very easy to crack because they aren't factory tight, and yes the pins are all easy to hammer out because they've been hammered out plenty of times before.  I think that the theory on differentials is fairly simple, so we didn't over-focus on that topic.  A lot of the theory we did on differentials was understood through the practical work we did inspecting them - for example - the gear ratios of the pinion gear and the crown is simply found by counting the number of teeth on each gear and diving one from the other.  

I have recently learned that if I have trouble understanding something or I want to understand something more, I can feel free to draw something on the whiteboard =) it comes in very handy.  I actually drew up a diagram of the layout of a rear wheel drive layout to realise which way each part of the transmission system rotates.  It's not very important but I find it interesting.

In the lecture room,  we learned how clutches can be services and what symptoms and issues they can cause.  I do find it interesting what can happen when a clutch is failing.  We were all assigned a topic of issue to discuss in front of the class what causes it, the symptoms and how they can be repaired.  I definitely love talking about these things (well, any interest in general) but I think being able to somehow teach it to other people is a great thing to be able to do.  The only thing that would of made it better is if we could actually be holding the clutch and show what happens as we talk about it.

I also enjoy the stories that Hans tells us, they tend to be very interesting.  I think that these stories are usually best remembered when we are actually involved in them, but it's good to know what consequences some actions can have before you land in the same situation.  I have a fairly bad memory unfortunately but I generally realise things from hearing stories and those things I realise are usually something I don't forget.

PEACE OUT!

1 comment:

  1. Ok. a diagram of a Differential would have been good also what can be checked and how is it adjusted

    ReplyDelete