Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Individual, Series, Parallel and Series - Parallel

WEDNESDAY! Today has been quite a slack off, the booklets that we were handed were quite a stack, titled 'Electricity Circuits: Individual, Series, Parallel and Series - Parallel'. I have just finished reading through the booklet and it has a lot of useful information along with exercises to go along with it. I found it very hard to work with the equipment that we are provided in class, a lot of the boards have blown fuses and some of the wires tend to be weak or not working, making it seem like a mystery when you think you have the circuit board all wired up correctly. I find things easier to understand when drawn in a diagram than when we need to run wires all around the circuit board. I find it hard to visualize the current flowing through the circuit, as the components in the circuit are spread all around the board. Ohms law is something now I find very simple, as at the start of the year, I had no idea how to use a multi-meter, and now I do. Volts, amps and resistance was very easy to understand, especially with the help of YouTube. I still need a more clear understanding of 'earthing' or 'grounding', this is something I have a very rough understanding of. Maybe this is another thing that YouTube can teach me. 'Voltage Drops' seem like a very easy topic to talk about, with my understanding I would use my common sense to use the ohms law to figure out the voltage before and after the voltage before and after the current flows through a resister. Although I didn't get a chance to put the theory to practice, I would set the multi meter to volts, set the volts to the right range (0.00V, 0.0V), point the negative pin to the negative terminal anywhere at the beginning of the circuit (closest to negative terminal on power supply) and point the positive pin on each terminal before and after each component of the circuit. I feel like it would make more sense to begin the day with theoretical classes and use the theory to practice afterwards, instead of spending a short time discussing the theory in the work shop and slack off because of not fully understanding the theory, and coming into the theory room with a full stomach and no energy. PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment