Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Wednesday. When day? WHENS DAY



ALTERNATORS.  A device in every vehicle that seems to be sooo sophisticated.  Although today is the first day we have begun studying alternators,  Hans has announced today that Friday will be the day that we take the assessment.  At this point, I do not feel comfortable with that.  (but then again, studying isn't supposed to be comfortable, lol.)  I have a very mild understanding of alternators,  to me I could answer a question about alternators if Hans asked me.   But I don't think that's enough.  If Hans asked me to "explain and describe" how alternators work,  and what readings and results we should be getting on a healthy alternator (which I learned in college that that it is the best way to get that "A" answer) I wouldn't be able to do it, well at least not at this point.  I understand that an alternator sits in the engine bay and is connected to the engine via a pulley and a belt, but why do they need power to run? why do they have four terminals? what does the "claw" in the alternator do?  why is there resistance in the terminals?  There are much too many questions I am asking. 
For the next two days, my goal will be to have a full understanding on alternators, before we move onto starter motors.  I think a good understanding of alternators will give me an advantage when we begin studying starter motors, as they work roughly the same way.  

This morning, my car didn't start.  I had to swap the battery with my dad's car. But first, I had to find the keys to his car.  I was about two hours late, so I missed my group dismantle the alternator.  And I tend to enjoy dismantling things.  But at least I got to assemble it back together.  With the help of a crappy hammer that had a lose head (it popped off the handle about five or six times while i was knocking the housing onto the magnet part) I managed to assemble it fairly easy, while getting a good view of what goes where.

Good luck to me,  I am fairly confident I can ace this,  but I don't have a choice anyway, alternators are a major part of a car,  if I'm planning on being a mechanic, I plan on knowing as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment